USB Sleep-and-Charge ports not charging my device
- Document ID: 98082482
- Posted Date: 2008-07-24
- Last Updated: 2008-07-24
- Distribution: View Public Website
- Applicable Models
Satellite A300-ST4004 Satellite A305-S6825 Satellite A305-S6829 Satellite A305-S6833 Satellite A305-S6834 Satellite A305-S6837 Satellite A305-S6839 Satellite A305-S6841 Satellite A305-S6843 Satellite A305-S6844 Satellite A305-S6845 Satellite A305-S6852 Satellite A305-S6853 Satellite A305-S68531 Satellite A305-S6854 Satellite A305-S6855 Satellite A305-S6857 Satellite A305-S6858 Satellite A305-S6859 Satellite A305-S6860 Satellite A305-S6861 Satellite A305-S6862 Satellite A305-S6863 Satellite A305-S6864 Satellite A305-S68641 Satellite A305D-S6831 Satellite A305D-S6835 Satellite A305D-S6847 Satellite A305D-S6848 Satellite A305D-S6849 Satellite A305D-S68491 Satellite A305D-S6851 Satellite A305D-S6856 Satellite M300-ST4060 Satellite M305-S4815 Satellite M305-S4819 Satellite M305-S4820 Satellite M305-S4822 Satellite M305-S4826 Satellite M305-S4835 Satellite M305D-S4828 Satellite M305D-S4829 Satellite M305D-S4830 Satellite M305D-S4831 Satellite M305D-S4833 Satellite M305D-S48331 Satellite U400-ST5404 Satellite U405-S2817 Satellite U405-S2820 Satellite U405-S2824 Satellite U405-S2826 Satellite U405-S2830 Satellite U405-S2833 Satellite U405-S2854 Satellite U405-S2856 Satellite U405-S2857
The USB Sleep-and-Charge feature can charge many -- but not all -- devices that can be charged through their USB port. Some devices will not accept a charge from a Sleep-and-Charge port when the computer is Off or in the Sleep / Standby state -- even though those products may be compliant with the USB specification, and can be charged from any of the computer's USB ports when the computer is On.
USB Sleep-and-Charge ports are identified by the special icon shown below. Only USB ports with this icon support the USB Sleep-and-Charge feature.
For some models, the USB Sleep-and-Charge feature is disabled by default. Follow the steps below to enable it, and to determine whether or not a particular device is compatible with USB Sleep-and-Charge.
Follow these steps to enable the USB Sleep-and-Charge feature, and/or to switch between its two modes of operation:
1. Click the Windows Start button, then click All Programs, Toshiba, Utilities, and HWSetup.
2. Click the USB tab. The screen shown below will appear.
As shown above, Disabled is the default state for USB Sleep-and-Charge on some Toshiba computer models.
3. Select Mode 1 to enable USB Sleep-and-Charge, and click OK. Accept the Restart Now invitation, if it appears.
4. Once the computer has restarted, shut it down, or place it in the Sleep / Standby state.
5. Connect your device to one of the computer's USB Sleep-and-Charge ports, and observe whether it charges or not.
If the device does not charge from the USB Sleep-and-Charge port, then follow steps 1-5 above again, but this time select Mode 2 in the HWSetup program.
If the device doesn't accept a charge from a Sleep-and-Charge port set to either Mode 1 or Mode 2, then re-select Disabled in HWSetup -- unless you wish to charge other devices that do accept a charge from a Sleep-and-Charge port. Disabling Sleep-and-Charge can help to maximize battery life by not delivering power to USB devices (mouse, external hard disk drive...) when the computer is in the Sleep / Standby state.
- Export Control and EULA
- Use of any software made available for download from this system constitutes your acceptance of the Export Control Terms and the terms in the Toshiba end-user license agreement both of which you can view before downloading any such software.