Windows 98 New Install Detailed Procedure - Tecra 8000
- Document ID: 94000599
- Posted Date: 1996-08-19
- Last Updated: 1996-08-19
- Distribution: View Public Website
- Applicable Models
- WINDOWS 98 NEW INSTALLATION DETAILED PROCEDURE
ACPI Enabled System Board Machine
This procedure is for a "new installation" of Windows 98 with the Toshiba Windows 98 BIOS (version 7.X). The procedure presumes that the present operating system is Windows 95.
YOU MUST HAVE THE FULL VERSION OF
WINDOWS 98 (OR THE WINDOWS 98 UPGRADE
VERSION AND THE WINDOWS 95 SETUP DISKS
OR CD) TO COMPLETE A NEW INSTALLATION
The procedure can be conducted in one of two methods:
Method 1: Format the hard drive
[entitled: Format HD Install]
Method 2: Deltree the Windows 95 Directory from DOS
[entitled: Fresh Install]
Step 1. Collect the required Files, Programs, CD's which will include:
Windows 95 Toshiba Windows 95 Utility Uninstaller T8DEL95.EXE
Windows 98 ACPI Flash BIOS 4800V78.EXE
Windows 98 Display Driver NeoMagic 2200 T8KVID98.EXE
Windows 95/98 Sound Driver for Yamaha OPL3-Sax T8KSND9X.EXE
Windows 98 Toshiba Utilities T8KUTL98.EXE
Windows 95/98 Toshiba Mouse Control TMSE247.EXE
Windows 95/98 Internal Modem V90_56K.EXE
Windows 95/98 NeoMagic 32-Bit Video Port Manager P701VID8.EXE
Windows 95/98 Hibernation File Make Utility T8KALLOC.EXE
Windows 95/98 Toshiba Hibernation Utility T8KHIBER.EXE
Windows 95/98 Docker Internal LAN T8KLANPR.EXE
Download and save these files (to either the computer hard drive or floppies as appropriate)
Step 2. Locate and double click the Toshiba Windows 95 Utility Uninstaller file (T8DEL95.EXE)
(Accept the default unzip directory and follow Readme File directions)
- Open Directory (Uninst.W95) and double click Uninst (DOS Box not Icon)
Step 3. Perform BIOS Update (If required)
Step 4. Method 1 or Method 2
Create a means to boot from a floppy with CD-ROM support (install from CD-ROM)
Create a means to connect to a network drive (With the Windows 98 installation files)
from a floppy drive (Method 1) or DOS (Method 2)
Copy the Windows 98 CD-ROM ([approximately 200Meg])
installation files to the Tecra C Drive (Method 2 only)
Step 5. Have the External Floppy attached which is necessary to create W98 Startup Disk (Strongly Recommended)
Remove any attached USB devices (including a mouse or keyboard not working in Legacy mode)
(These devices should be installed after completing the Windows 98 and driver installation)
Step 6. Boot computer to DOS
Fdisk and Format Hard Drive
Setup FAT32 or FAT16 partitions as desired
From the C:> prompt type Deltree Windows
Select or confirm y and hit enter
Step 7. Reboot computer to DOS with CD-ROM support or Network access [required for Method 1 Only]
(Use floppy created in Step 4)
Step 8. Access the Windows 98 media (CD-ROM, Hard Drive, or Network)
Step 9. Change directory to Windows 98
Step 10. Type Setup
Step 11. Follow instructions
Portable/Laptop Install (Recommended)
Components Installed (Your Choice)
Create Startup Disk (Strongly Recommended)
Step 12. The Windows 98 installation is basically automatic with only a few places where the users must answer questions. There will be several reboots during the installation
[per Windows 98 installation instructions - if the system hangs up during any of the
reboots, hit the reset button to restart it]
Step 13. Windows 98 installation should proceed smoothly through
Preparing to run Windows 98 Setup
Collecting information about your computer
Copying Windows 98 files to your computer
Restarting your computer - Restart #1
Setting up hardware and finalizing settings
- Hardware Detection
- Setting Up hardware
- Setting Up Hardware
- Windows 98 Setup
Setting up Time Zone/Control Panel/Start menu ...
Updating System Settings
The Enter Windows Password box will appear
Enter Password (your choice)
Step 14. Windows 98 will then install the driver for your plug and play monitor
Click on "Next" button Two times
Uncheck Floppy Box
Click on "Next" button Two times. Click on "Finish"
(accepts widows defaults)
Step 15. Windows will setup your personalized settings
Windows will display the Welcome to Windows 98 Window
Close this window
Step 16. Create the Directory C:\Windows\Options\Cabs
Step 17. Install the Neomagic Video Driver using the update driver method
Locate and double click the previously downloaded windows 98 Display Driver File (T8KVID98.EXE)
Accept the default directory for the unzip directory (c:\Video.w98)
1. From "Start", select the "Settings" group, then click on the "Control Panel" icon.
2. In the "Control Panel", double click on the "Display" icon.
3. From the "Display Properties" screen, click on "Settings" tab.
4. In the "Settings" screen, click on the "Advanced..." button.
5. Click on "Adapter" tab and "Change..." button.
6. From the "Update Device Driver Wizard" screen, click on "Next" button
7. Select "Display a list of all the drivers in a specific location..." and click on "Next" button.
8. Click on "Have disk" button and type "C:\VIDEO.W98" (or the path and folder name where you
extracted the electronic archive)
9. In the "Copy manufacturer's files from" field, then click on the "OK" button.
10. From the list of displayed video devices, select your video device and click on the "OK" button.
(NeoMagic MagicMedia 256AV)
11. Click on "Next" to copy files and "Finish" buttons when done.
12. Click on "Close" and "Close" buttons again on "Display Properties" screen.
13. When you see the "System Settings Change" window, asking if you wish to
restart the computer, click on "Yes" to reboot the computer now.
14. From "Start", select the "Settings" group, then click on the "Control Panel" icon.
15. In the "Control Panel", double click on the "Display" icon.
16. From the "Display Properties" screen, click on "Settings" tab.
17. Select Colors (your choice) and Screen Area (depends on model - screen size)
18. Restart your computer.
Step 18. Install the remaining Toshiba Windows 98 Drivers including:
(double click the appropriate files and use the Readme Files [where applicable] for detailed instructions)
Windows 95/98 Sound Driver for Yamaha OPL3-Sax T8KSND9X.EXE (Readme File Instructions)
(The Readme File has several sets of installation directions
use the directions for - OPL3-SAX Driver Installations for
Windows 98 Upgrade)
Windows 95/98 Internal Modem T8KMDM9X.EXE (Readme File Instructions)
(Use the directions for - Installation on new OS)
Windows 95/98 Toshiba Mouse Control TMSE247.EXE (Auto Run Install)
Windows 95/98 NeoMagic 32-Bit Video Port Manager T8KVPM95.EXE (Readme File Instructions)
Windows 98 Toshiba Utilities T8KUTL98.EXE (Auto Run Install)
Windows 95/98 Hibernation File Make Utility T8KALLOC.EXE (Readme File Instructions)
Windows 95/98 Toshiba Hibernation Utility T8KHIBER.EXE (Readme File Instructions)
(Use the directions for - Windows 98 OS)
Windows 95/98 Docker Internal LAN T8KLANPR.EXE (Readme File Instructions)
(Required for systems using LAN Docker only)
It is strongly recommended that the computer be tested prior to installing (re-installing) Toshiba and/or third party applications. The suggested tests are:
1. Set up power management preferences (Start/Settings/Control Panel/Power Management)
Test Shut Down, Standby, Hibernate (if selected)
Test from Start Menu
Test from Panel Close
Test from Power Scheme time settings
2. Test modem in hyperterminal (Toshiba BBS 949-837-4408)
3. Set up a DUN connection (ISP or other) and test modem
4. Install telephony application (e.g. Ring Central or other) and test modem with voice and fax
5. Enable (Start/Settings/Control Panel/Infrared) and test infrared connections / file transfer
Step 19. Install Toshiba applications and other applications as desired
- Export Control and EULA
- Use of any software made available for download from this system constitutes your acceptance of the Export Control Terms and the terms in the Toshiba end-user license agreement both of which you can view before downloading any such software.